Subject: Re: [OMPI users] FRQ: Warn if components specified but missing
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-04 09:48:22

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry the lack of a clear error message
caused you pain. :-(

FWIW, we do have this feature in the upcoming v1.3 release. For
example:

[6:46] svbu-mpi:~/mpi % mpirun -np 2 --mca btl openibbbb,self hello
A requested component was not found, or was unable to be opened. This
means that this component is either not installed or is unable to be
used on your system (e.g., sometimes this means that shared libraries
that the component requires are unable to be found/loaded). Note that
Open MPI stopped checking at the first component that it did not find.

Host: svbu-mpi.cisco.com
Framework: btl
Component: openibbbb

Hopefully, this will help such situations in the future.

On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Bernhard Hermann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We would like to request a warning/error message to be printed
> whenever
> a component (like "openib") is specified, but not actually loaded.
>
> Our case: Running a job via "tcp" over IB went OK, trying to use
> "openib" failed. It turned out that while compiling the "openib"
> module
> wasn't made (missing path), so OpenMPI croaked when trying to access
> it.
>
> This was the error that was of little help to us in tracing the
> problem:
> Process 0.1.7 is unable to reach 0.1.0 for MPI communication.
> If you specified the use of a BTL component, you may have
> forgotten a component (such as "self") in the list of
> usable components.
> It looks like MPI_INIT failed for some reason; your parallel process
> is
> fail during MPI_INIT; some of which are due to configuration or
> environment
> problems. This failure appears to be an internal failure; here's some
> additional information (which may only be relevant to an Open MPI
> developer):
>
> PML add procs failed
> --> Returned "Unreachable" (-12) instead of "Success" (0)
> *** An error occurred in MPI_Init
> *** before MPI was initialized
> *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)
>

> Unfortunately we can't provide a patch and would be glad if someone
> could implement and include this.
>
> Thanks for your attention,
> best regards,
> Bernhard HERMANN