Subject: Re: [OMPI users] How to specify hosts for MPI_Comm_spawn
From: Robert Kubrick (robertkubrick_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-30 11:50:53

On Jul 30, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Mark Borgerding wrote:

> I appreciate the suggestion about running a daemon on each of the
> remote nodes, but wouldn't I kind of be reinventing the wheel
> there? Process management is one of the things I'd like to be able
> to count on ORTE for.
> Would the following work to give the parent process an intercomm
> with each child?
>
> parent i.e. my non-mpirun-started process calls MPI_Init then
> MPI_Open_port
> parent spawns mpirun command via system/exec to create the remote
> children . The name from MPI_Open_port is placed in the environment.
> parent calls MPI_Comm_accept (once for each child?)

I think you have to create a separate thread to run the accept, in
order to accept multiple client connections. This should be supported
by OpenMPI as it was the original idea of the API design to handle
multiple client connections. There is an MPI_Comm_accept multi-thread
example in the book Using MPI-2.

> all children call MPI_connect to the name
>
> I think this would give one intercommunicator back to the parent
> for each remote process (not ideal, but I can worry about broadcast
> data later)
> The remote processes can communicate to each other through
> MPI_COMM_WORLD.

You should be able to merge each child communicator from each accept
thread into a global comm anyway.

> Actually when I think through the details, much of this is pretty
> similar to the daemon MPI_Publish_name+MPI_Lookup_name approach.
> The main difference being which processes come first.

You can run a deamon through system/exec the same way you run
mpiexec. Just use ssh or rsh on the system/exec call.