Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Open MPI unable to find threading support for PGI or Sun Studio
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-29 08:07:39

On Jul 29, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Mark Dixon wrote:

>> FWIW: I compile with PGI 7.1.4 regularly on RHEL4U4 and don't see
>> this problem. It would be interesting to see the config.log's from
>> these builds to see the actual details of what went wrong.
>
> Thanks Jeff: it's good to know it's just me ;)

:-)

> Following your message, I've tried building with PGI on a few systems:
>
> Compiler OS Result
> ============ =================== ============
> 32-bit 7.1.6 CentOS 5.2 (32-bit) no threading
> 32-bit 7.1.4 CentOS 5.2 (32-bit) no threading **config.log
> attached**
> 32-bit 7.1.4 RHEL4u6 (64-bit) works!
> 32-bit 7.1.4 CentOS 5.1 (64-bit) no threading
>
> Each time it fails, it's because of "__builtin_expect" being
> undefined for pgcc and pgf77 (works for pgcpp) - or any of the Sun
> Studio compilers. Could this be a glibc 2.3 (RHEL4) vs. 2.5
> (CentOS5) issue?

I'm afraid this one is out of my bailiwick -- I don't know. Looking
through your config.log file, it does look like this lack of
__builtin_expect is the killer. FWIW, here's my configure output when
I run with pgcc v7.1.4:

checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work as is... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work as is... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -Kthread... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -kthread... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -pthread... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -pthreads... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -mt... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -mthreads... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -Kthread... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -kthread... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -pthread... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -pthreads... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -mt... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -mthreads... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -lpthreads... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -llthread... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -lpthread... yes
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -lpthread... yes

I suggest that you bring this issue up with PGI support; they're
fairly responsive on their web forums.

Cisco Systems