Subject: Re: [OMPI users] How to cease the process triggered by OPENMPI
From: vega lew (vegalew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-28 13:24:54

OK, thank you for your reply.
I'll try to make a script to kill all the process using 'killall pw.x' .

Thank you again.

Vega Lew (weijia liu)
PH.D Candidate in Chemical Engineering
State Key Laboratory of Materials-oriented Chemical Engineering
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Nanjing University of Technology, 210009, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China

From: brockp_at_[hidden]
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:05:33 -0400
To: users_at_[hidden]

You would be much better off to not use nohup, and then just kill the mpirun.
What I mean is a batch system (http://www.clusterresources.com/pages/products/torque-resource-manager.php). Most batch systems have a launching system that lets you kill all the remote processes when you kill the job.
Look at how MPI works. When you are starting the way you are starting MPI (without a batch system) you are using ether ssh or rsh to start the remote processes. Once these are started, the user has no control over the remote processes.
Try killing your mpirun not your orted or pw.x. You will be much happier with a batch system. Or make a script that ssh to hostfile and kills pw.x on all of them. Brock Palenwww.umich.edu/~brockpCenter for Advanced Computingbrockp_at_[hidden](734)936-1985
On Jul 27, 2008, at 2:04 PM, vega lew wrote: Dear Brock Palen,

Thank you for your responding.

My linux is redhat enterprise 4. My compiler is 10.1.015 version of intel fortran and intel c.

You said 'when the job is killed all the children are also'

But I started my OPENMPI job using the nohup command to put the job background like this,
" nohup mpirun -hostfile ~/hostfile -np 64 pw.x < input > output & ".

When I killed one of the process named pw.x, all the others didn't stop.
When I killed the process named orted, the pw.x process in the same node stoped immediately,
but the job in the other node were still running.

Do you think there is something wrong with my cluster or openmpi or the software named pw.x?

Is there a command for openmpi to force all the process to stop in the cluster or a list of nodes to stop.

From: brockp_at_[hidden]
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:52:08 -0400
To: users_at_[hidden]

 Does the cluster your using use a batch system? Like SLURM, PBS or other?
If so many have native ways to launch jobs that OMPI can use. SO that when the job is killed all the children are also.
 Brock Palenwww.umich.edu/~brockpCenter for Advanced Computingbrockp_at_[hidden](734)936-1985
On Jul 26, 2008, at 12:25 PM, vega lew wrote: Dear all,

I have enjoyed the openmpi a couple of days. With the help of openmpi I could run ESPRESSO efficiently.

I started the mpi-job by the openmpi command like this,

" nohup mpirun -hostfile ~/hostfile -np 64 pw.x < input > output &".

When I want to stop the job before it finished, I find it not easy to stop all the process manually. When I killed the process
in one node of the cluster, the processes in other nodes were still running. So I must ssh to every node, find the
process id and kill the process. If there are 100 processors or more for one mpi job, the situation even worse.

Explore the seven wonders of the world Learn more!_______________________________________________users mailing listusers_at_[hidden]http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users