Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Number of file handles limiting the number off processes?
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-10 08:14:46

Unfortunately, that is indeed true for the 1.2 series. It is significantly
better in 1.3, but still not perfect.

Basically, in 1.2, every process has to "call home" to mpirun (or mpiexec -
same thing) when it starts up. This is required in order to exchange
connection info so that the MPI comm subsystem can wire itself up. Thus,
every process creates a TCP connection to the node where mpirun sits.

In 1.3, this is reduced to one connection per node as all non-MPI comm is
routed through the local daemon on each node. Still not ideal, but a
significant reduction.

In 1.4, we will further reduce this for systems with static IP addresses to
perhaps as little as a single connection to mpirun. But that remains to be
done.

Regards
Ralph