Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI with bounds checking
From: Gabriele Fatigati (g.fatigati_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-19 11:47:11

Just a moment:

i didn't compile OpenMPI with bounds checking, but only my application.
Problems with OMPI compiled with bound checking remains.

2008/6/19 Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>:

> On Jun 19, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Gabriele Fatigati wrote:
>
> Hi Jeff,
>> i solved using Gigabit net and eth1 interface!
>>
>> So, there are problems beetween Infiniband and gcc with bound checking.
>>

> This is probably not too surprising -- the IB driver gives back memory to
> the process that didn't come from malloc or other traditional memory
> allocators, and this can confuse bounds checkers, leading to false
> positives.
>
> In the upcoming v1.3 series, we added a whole pile of stuff to handle these
> kinds of false positives when running under valgrind. Just curious -- does
> the gcc bounds checking stuff give you the possibility of saying "this
> memory is ok"? (valgrind does; we use it for IB-driver allocated or
> initialized memory)
>

> --
> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems

Gabriele Fatigati
CINECA Systems & Tecnologies Department
Supercomputing Group
Via Magnanelli 6/3, Casalecchio di Reno (BO) Italy
www.cineca.it Tel: +39 051 6171722
g.fatigati_at_[hidden]