Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Crash in _int_malloc via MPI_Init
From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-15 19:11:20

On Jun 15, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Yup: I still suspect compiler / linker changes in Ubuntu between Gutsy
> (released Oct 2007) and Hardy (April 2008).
>
> Why? Because the exactly same source package for Open MPI (as
> maintained by
> Manuel and myself for Debian) works for me on Ubuntu Hardy __if I
> compile it
> on Ubuntu Gutsy__.
>
> Now, I reported this to Ubuntu ... for no answer. Lucas and
> Christoph at
> Debian today released a feature allowing us Debian maintainers to
> see which
> our packages have bugreports in Ubuntu. It was only through this
> mechanism
> that I learned that the segfault I saw with Rmpi (using Open MPI)
> had been
> experienced by someone else, and that a similar bug occurs with
> Python use on
> top of Open MPI.
>
> But still no tangible answer from Canonical / Ubuntu other that some
> reshuffling of bug reports titles and numbers. Very disappointing.
>
> I am CCing Steffen and Andreas who've seen similar bugs and are
> awaiting
> answers too. I am also CCing Cesare at Ubuntu who did the bug
> rearrangement,
> maybe he will find a moment to share their plans with us.

I suppose I'm glad that it doesn't look like an Open MPI problem. Due
to continual problems with the ptmalloc2 code in Open MPI, we've
decided that for v1.3, we'll extract that code out into its own
library. Users who need the malloc hooks for InifiniBand support
(only a small number of applications really benefit from it) will have
to explicitly link in the extra library. Hopefully, this will resolve
some of these headaches.

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett