Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Open MPI instructional videos
From: Brock Palen (brockp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-04 13:56:08

I really think just having them in a flash container works well,
youtube style. I do this with both snapZpro (mac only) and jing
(windows & mac), if you want to have a higher quality downloadable
traditional video though, they prob wont work.

Also these are screen+audio/voice capture tools not ones that will
convert your existing videos.

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp_at_[hidden]
(734)936-1985

On Jun 4, 2008, at 1:45 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> Thanks for the tip!
>
> I downloaded and tried the qt_tools but all conversions that I did to
> the MP4 format looked absolutely horrid -- the resulting videos had
> "jagged" images and all kinds of weird artifacts that would appear and
> disappear. The slides were quite readable, but they just looked
> "bad".
>
> Does anyone else have any suggestions? Perhaps I need to record them
> differently so that they can be converted to both .mov and .mp4 nicely
> at the end...?
>

> On Jun 4, 2008, at 9:03 AM, Scott Atchley wrote:
>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> If I remember correctly, Microsoft dropped support for .AVI 3-4 years
>> ago so it can no longer be played by their media player. It is also
>> not native to QT, so you will have to download a plugin (I have it
>> somewhere if you want me to look for it).
>>
>> I do not know if there is a container format that all players are
>> happy with. My guess would be that MP4 would be the closest.
>>
>> You can convert .mov to .mp4 with a free command-line app, qt_export,
>> which is part of qt_tools. It uses the QT libraries and can transcode
>> to a number of video and audio formats (including AVI if you have the
>> QT plugin).
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> On Jun 4, 2008, at 8:31 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW: I tried the http://adi.loris.tv/ompi-optimized.avi URL on my
>>> Mac
>>> and got redirected to the Quicktime plugin page. I had no idea
>>> which
>>> plugin would make it play AVI files, so I skipped it. I tried the
>>> URL
>>> on a Windows machine and Windows Media Player (i.e., what came up by
>>> default) seemed to play the audio just fine, but it couldn't find a
>>> video codec. Here's the error message that it showed:
>>>
>>> The codec you are missing is not available for download from this
>>> site.
>>> You might be able to find it on another site by searching the Web
>>> for
>>> "FMP4" (this is the WaveFormat or FourCC identifier of the