Subject: Re: [OMPI users] More OpenMPI errors: how to debug?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-23 15:07:41

On May 22, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Jim Kusznir wrote:

> I installed openmpi 1.2.6 on my system, but now my users are
> complaining about even more errors. I'm getting this:
>
> [compute-0-23.local:26164] [NO-NAME] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file
> runtime/orte_init_stage1.c at line 182
> Sorry! You were supposed to get help about:
> orte_init:startup:internal-failure
> from the file:
> help-orte-runtime
> But I couldn't find any file matching that name. Sorry!

Everything below this message is a consequence of the first message
(above).

There's two problems here:

1. Where are the help files -- why can't OMPI find them? That's
really weird; it suggests a broken Open MPI install. You have a few
pending e-mails to me about RPM builds that I need to go read (I'm
sorry; I'm way backed up :-( ); I wonder if this is somehow related...?

2. The specific error that is occurring is that the ORTE layer in OMPI
is unable to initialize its out-of-band messaging system (we call it
the "RML") which is *really* weird. The only reason that I can think
that that would occur is a broken OMPI install.

Is there any chance that there are some files missing from your OMPI
installs? For example, do you see these two files under $prefix/lib/
openmpi (or wherever $pkglibdir was set to):

mca_rml_oob.la*
mca_rml_oob.so*

Cisco Systems