Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Open MPI Linux Expectations
From: James A. Peltier (jpeltier_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-22 18:08:10

On Thu, 22 May 2008, Don Kerr wrote:

> Can anyone set my expectations with their real world experiences
> regarding building Open MPI on one release of Linux and running on another.
>
> If I were to...
> Build OMPI on Redhat 4, will it run on later releases of Redhat, e.g.
> Redhat 5?
> Build OMPI on Suse 9, will it run on later releases of Suse, e.g. Suse 10?
> Build OMPI on Redhat, will it run on Suse?
> Build OMPI on Suse, will it run on Redhat?
>
> Thanks in advance for your insights.
> -DON

The best way I have found to ensure maximum compatibility is to compile a
version of GCC that is not tied to any OS, but that is tied to an
architecture. I then compile all my applications using that compiler and
it has always worked for me.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director