Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Replace 1.2.3 with 1.2.6
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-16 12:00:36

On May 16, 2008, at 5:06 AM, Francesco Pietra wrote:

> Having (as a non-expert) to compile new versions of applications
> (Amber10 primarily), I have taken the opportunity to upgrade Intel
> compilers to version 10.1 (and MKL libraries) and now I plan also to
> upgrade openmpi from 1.2.3 to 1.2.6. To this concern please see the
> answer by Tim Prins (tprins_at_[hidden])
> Date: 2007-09-26 18:26:25
> to my former general question about upgrading:
>
>> If you want to replace your current installation of Open MPI, you
>> have 3
>> 1. Install the new version exactly as you did the old version,
>> overwriting >the old version. This should work, but can lead to
>> problems if there are >any stale files left over. Thus I would
>> recommend not doing this and doing >one of the following.
>> 2. If you still have the build tree you used to originally install
>> Open >MPI, go into the build tree and type 'make uninstall'. This
>> should remove >all the old Open MPI files and allow you to install
>> the new version >normally.
>> 3. If you installed Open MPI into a unique prefix, such as /opt/
>> openmpi, >just delete the directory and then install the new
>> version of Open MPI.
>> Personally, I think that one should always install Open MPI into a
>> >directory where nothing else is installed, as it makes management
>> and >upgrading significantly easier.
>
> I still have /usr/local/openmpi-1.2.3 which is
>
> 4 drwxrwxrwx 10 10254 11000

 From your text, it sounds like this is the source code directory
(i.e., where you expanded the Open MPI tarball). If that is the case,
and it's still the same as after you ran "make install" to install
Open MPI, then you should probably follow #2 of Tim's options:

cd /usr/local/openmpi-1.2.3
make uninstall

This will remove the Open MPI installation from your system.

> (the last two figures stand for me as user) from which I carried out
> the compilation.
> /usr/local/bin contains:
> mpic++
> mpicc
> mpiCC
> mpicxx
> mpiexec
> mpif77
> mpif90
> mpirun
> ompi_info
> orted
> orterun
>
> are these overwritten during the new compilation, or some deletion
> is needed?

They are overwritten.

However, OMPI makes not guarantee about its plugins between versions
-- the concern is that you may get some stale plugins if they are not
overwritten by the new version. That's what Tim was specifically
referring to.

 From 1.2.3 -> 1.2.6 you should be ok (everything should overwrite),
but it's better to get in the habit of uninstalling / removing and
then installing a new one.

> If I understand, the above procedure (3) applies. Therefore, just
> delete /open.mpi-1.2.3 and start with decompressing the new release
> into
>
> /usr/local/openmpi-1.2.6
>
> and operate as before.

Yes and no. It looks like /usr/local/openmpi-1.2.3 is your *source*
directory, not your *installation* directory. So just removing /usr/
local/openmpi-1.2.3 is not sufficient. You should "make uninstall"
first and then you can remove /usr/local/openmpi-1.2.3.

> What about libnuma,that I had also insalled
> apt-get install libnuma-dev, which installed
> libnuma-dev libnuma.1
>
> This is a self-assembled, NUMA-type four sockets dual-opteron
> machine with Debian Linux amd64 lenny (the two raid1 HHD just moved
> to this mainboard from a previous mainbosrd with only two sockets.
> Everything OK with few adjustments).

OMPI *uses* libnuma, but we're not responsible for it. So if you've
installed it via apt-get, that should be fine. I don't know if
there's an update available or not -- I'm guessing that OMPI 1.2.6
will use your current version of libnuma just like OMPI 1.2.3.

Cisco Systems