Subject: [OMPI users] Replace 1.2.3 with 1.2.6
From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-16 05:06:03

Having (as a non-expert) to compile new versions of applications (Amber10 primarily), I have taken the opportunity to upgrade Intel compilers to version 10.1 (and MKL libraries) and now I plan also to upgrade openmpi from 1.2.3 to 1.2.6. To this concern please see the answer by Tim Prins (tprins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-26 18:26:25
to my former general question about upgrading:

>If you want to replace your current installation of Open MPI, you have 3
>1. Install the new version exactly as you did the old version, overwriting >the old version. This should work, but can lead to problems if there are >any stale files left over. Thus I would recommend not doing this and doing >one of the following.
>2. If you still have the build tree you used to originally install Open >MPI, go into the build tree and type 'make uninstall'. This should remove >all the old Open MPI files and allow you to install the new version >normally.
>3. If you installed Open MPI into a unique prefix, such as /opt/openmpi, >just delete the directory and then install the new version of Open MPI.
>Personally, I think that one should always install Open MPI into a >directory where nothing else is installed, as it makes management and >upgrading significantly easier.

I still have /usr/local/openmpi-1.2.3 which is

4 drwxrwxrwx 10 10254 11000

(the last two figures stand for me as user) from which I carried out the compilation.
/usr/local/bin contains:
mpic++
mpicc
mpiCC
mpicxx
mpiexec
mpif77
mpif90
mpirun
ompi_info
orted
orterun

are these overwritten during the new compilation, or some deletion is needed?

Thanks
francesco pietra
If I understand, the above procedure (3) applies. Therefore, just delete /open.mpi-1.2.3 and start with decompressing the new release into

/usr/local/openmpi-1.2.6

and operate as before.

What about libnuma,that I had also insalled
apt-get install libnuma-dev, which installed
libnuma-dev libnuma.1

This is a self-assembled, NUMA-type four sockets dual-opteron machine with Debian Linux amd64 lenny (the two raid1 HHD just moved to this mainboard from a previous mainbosrd with only two sockets. Everything OK with few adjustments).

Thanks
francesco pietra

I prefere to wait for advice about this post before damaging the system.