Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Install BLACS and ScaLAPACK on Leopard
From: Gregory John Orris (gregory.orris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-06 11:11:53

Points to clarify if I may, having gone through this relatively
recently:
g77 and gfortran are NOT one and the same.
gfortran from sourceforge works well, but it is based on gnu gcc 4.3
and not on the gnu gcc 4.0.1 that comes with Leopard.
Your best bet is to download the ENTIRE gcc package from sourceforge
and install it into /usr/local. This includes gcc, g++, and gfortran.

Then you will need to do a number of things to actually get a reliable
set of packages all compiled from the same version of gcc 4.3.
Why? Because 4.3 seems to be notoriously faster. AND, I had a lot of
problems integrating the 4.0.1 libs with the 4.3 libs without errors
1. download CLAPACK-3.1.1 from netlib And compile
2. Download ATLAS-1.8 from dourceforge (netlib is a little behind
here) and configure it with the --with-netlib-lapack=your just
compiled lapack from CLAPACK
3. Download OpenMPI 1.2.6 and install it also so that openMPI will
have the fortran not installed with Leopard.
4. NOW you can compile BLACS and ScaLAPACK

In all of this you will need to do a couple of additional things like
set the env's
setenv LDFLAGS "-L/usr/local/lib/x86_64"
setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH "your openmpi path"
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH "your openmpi path"

Do all this right and make sure you compile with the -m64 -mtune=core2
flags and you will be golden.

So what will you have---
A new cblas, atlas, lapack, openmpi, fortran, c, c++, blacs, and
scalapack.
All on the same version of gnu c.

Alternatively you can buy and use the intel compiler. It is
significantly faster than gfortran, but it has a host of other
problems associated with it.
But if you follow the outline above, you will be left with the best
that's available. I have lots more info on this, but time is short.

FINALLY, and this is important, DO NOT FORGET ABOUT THE small STACK
size on Mac's when using gfortran. It's so small that it's useless for
large parallel jobs.