Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Fwd: mpicc does not link against Fortran libraries? Withdrawn
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-26 09:06:35

Yes, there can be all kinds of hidden dependencies and/or bootstrap
issues with linking Fortran codes with the C compilers. We've
typically used the table in the Automake docs to determine which
linker is used to understand this stuff (well, it *used* to be a
table, but I think AM now supports too many languages/compilers to
make it a simple table -- in the AM 1.10 docs, it's 8.13.3.1: "How the
Linker is Chosen").

On Apr 25, 2008, at 9:10 PM, Barry Smith wrote:

> A smarter colleague then I, has reminded me that is very difficult
> to obtain all the
> Fortran libraries and linker options that would be needed to allow the
> mpicc compiler to
> also link against the MPI fortran libraries successfully. I therefor
> withdraw my
> original question?
>
> Barry
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Barry Smith <bsmith_at_[hidden]>
>> Date: April 25, 2008 3:14:06 PM CDT
>> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
>> Cc: Satish Balay <balay_at_[hidden]>
>> Subject: Fwd: mpicc does not link against Fortran libraries?
>>

>>> Is it considered a feature that mpicc does not automatically link
>>> against the Fortran libraries?
>>> When I have a C main that uses a few Fortran functions down in the
>>> guts I like to link with the
>>> C linker, but mpicc does not appear to automatically link against
>>> the Fortran libraries (mpif90 does
>>> link against the C MPI libraries :-)).
>>>
>>> Is this something that could get changed?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Barry

Cisco Systems