Subject: Re: [OMPI users] install intel mac with Laopard
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-25 07:42:08

On Apr 25, 2008, at 7:33 AM, Koun SHIRAI wrote:

> Of course, we don't want as many as parameters. Simply command lines
> are absolutely better. But, it is impossible owing to complicated
> systems. This is why you supply a lot of option commands.
> I think that for most of beginners installation is a big barrier. If
> in this stage they had a problem, they couldn't do anything. Mailing
> archives could be a source for hints, but are too big and are
> disorganized to find the answer for beginner. Illustrate just a few
> examples for typical systems in home page is very helpful.

I understand and agree (my text was mainly trying to give
justification of why we are where we are in terms of the existing
README file -- not necessarily that I disagree with what you are
saying).

I was trying to ask if you had a few concrete examples in mind, since
you're our most recent newbie -- most of us have been doing this for
so long that it's all "obvious" to us, which puts us in a bad position
to try to write documentation for those who are new to the concepts,
etc. Another issue that I have seen is that "common" configurations
are a misnomer -- what is "common" for one user is not for another. :-(

My point: can you think of a few concrete examples of configure lines
that would have been helpful for you to see in the README? What
concepts would you wanted to have seen as a newbie?

Cisco Systems