Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Message compression in OpenMPI
From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-22 13:25:54

The paper you cited, while presenting a particular implementation
doesn't bring present any new ideas. The compression of the data was
studied for long time, and [unfortunately] it always came back to the
same result. In the general case, not worth the effort !

Now of course, if one limit itself to very regular applications (such
as the one presented in the paper), where the matrices involved in the
computation are well conditioned (such as in the paper), and if you
only use MPI_DOUBLE (\cite{same_paper}), and finally if you only
expect to run over slow Ethernet (1Gbs) (\cite{same_paper_again})...
then yes one might get some benefit.

   george.