Subject: Re: [OMPI users] openMPI + Ubuntu 7.10 puzzling
From: Dirk Eddelbuettel (edd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-22 09:15:48

On 22 April 2008 at 00:12, Vincent Rotival wrote:
| Sorry to bother you all about that but I am quite lost with a puzzling
| problem concerning openMPI + Ubuntu 7.10. I could not find similar
| threads on the archive
[...]
| I am using openMPI version 1.2.6 (but same bug occured with 1.2.5),
| which I compile directly from the source from www.openmpi.org
| <http://www.openmpi.org>, with F90=ifort with Intel Fortran 10.1

I can't speak to ifort, but as one of the Open MPI maintainers for Debian, I
can assure you that the 1.2.* series works just fine on Ubuntu ... if you
rebuild from current Debian sources.

I have forgotten what version of Open MPI made the 'freeze' for Ubuntu 7.10,
but it is probably something older if not even the 1.1.*. I typically just
point my apt inputs to Debian unstable source (not binary packages) and then
fetch what I want to rebuild via 'apt-get source libopenmpi-dev'. That
requires some minimal Debian packaging skills you could learn from a number
of sources on the web,

Now, if and when you rebuild from source, I would make sure that you do not
have 'native' Ubuntu Open MPI and LAM '-dev' packages installed to avoid the
header / library mismatch you seem to be experiencing.

| I have not updated ifort since about 6 months, the only change between
| last time I used MPI are small Ubuntu updates..... I can give you much
| more complex codes which worked perfectly one week ago

"small" Ubuntu updates? When I roll my work machines to new Ubuntu releases,
it upgrades _hundreds_ of packages. Not what I call small.

Hope this helps, Dirk