Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problems with program-execution with OpenMPI: Orted: command not found
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-22 08:02:56

Make sure you're using the "right" mpirun. If you have both MPICH and
Open MPI installed, you need to install them into the different
directories.

As for not finding the "orted" on the remote nodes, it simply means
that your PATH / LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set properly on the remote
nodes. See:

http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#run-prereqs
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#adding-ompi-to-path
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#mpirun-prefix

A few notes about your command line syntax:

- "-np X" specifies how many processes to launch (where X is an
integer). If you don't specify this, OMPI defaults to as many slots
are defined in your hostfile.

     mpirun -np 4 ....

- "--host LIST", where LIST is a comma-delimited list of hostnames to
launch on (*instead* of specifying a hostfile).

     mpirun --host host1,host2,host3,host4 ....

- "--hostfile FILENAME", where FILENAME is a list of a hostfile as
described in the FAQ.

     mpirun --hostfile my_hostfile.txt ...

You can't mix and match these params, like your example:

     mpirun --host -np 2 node0,node1 /bin/hostname

Cisco Systems