Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problems with program-execution with OpenMPI: Orted: command not found
From: gildo.rex_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-04-22 04:40:49

Hi Jodi,

thanks for the quick answer!

> Have you tried the command ompi_info?
> What is its output?

No, I haven't. I can try this evening, when I'm back home from work.

> Furthermore, the command you gave
> > mpirun -np 2 --hostfile /home/stephan/mpd.hosts
> is incomplete. There is no executable.

Sorry, it should correctly be

mpirun -np 2 --hostfile /home/stephan/mpd.hosts /bin/hostname

The output shows, that the program is only executed on the local machine. This is the same on each of the machines.

> Try to make sure wether your host file has the correct
> format. If i remember correctly Open-MPI does not use
> the same format for hostfiles as MPICH.

Yes, thats true according to the documentation. There is a possibility to define the number of slots and the max-number of slots in OpenMPI, which I haven't seen in MPICH so far (at least not within the hostfile).
But when I use a hostfile without a specification regarding the slots, e.g.

shell$ cat my-hosts
node0
node1

(which is the same as in MPICH), it should interpret the default values, i.e. slots=1 and max_slots=unlimited). That should work for that simple test.

> See the FAQ for more info
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#mpirun-scheduling

I also tried the way to specify the hosts in the command, e.g.

mpirun --host -np 2 node0,node1 /bin/hostname

but the result is the same. The program runs only on one host.

> If you don't use a hostfile, mpirun will start
> all processes on the local machine.

Yes, that's what it obviously does. It doesn't recognise the cluster partner in each direction...

Kind Regards

Stephan