Subject: Re: [OMPI users] How to restart a job twice
From: Josh Hursey (jjhursey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-18 09:03:38

When you use 'ompi-restart' to restart a job it fork/execs the
completely new job using the restarted processes for the ranks.
However instead of calling the 'mpirun' process ompi-restart currently
calls 'orterun'. These two programs are exactly the same (mpirun is a
symbolic link to orterun). So if you look for the PID of 'orterun'
that can be used to checkpoint the process.

However it is confusing that Open MPI makes this switch. So I
committed in r18208 a fix for this that uses the 'mpirun' binary name
instead of the 'orterun' binary name. This fits with the typical use
case of checkpoint/restart in Open MPI in which users expect to find
the 'mpirun' process on restart instead of the lesser known 'orterun'
process.

Sorry for the confusion.

Josh