Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Allocating some amount of memory for a process
From: Brock Palen (brockp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-17 08:12:35

OpenMPI does not do this. MPI codes are regular C and Fortran
programs, so if they ALLOCATE or malloc() memory, and linux/mac can
give it it will.

I think what you need is a batch system (Torque Plug goes here). We
use a batch system that will then place processes on nodes based on
memory and cpu availability.
In torque I do this with:

#PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=2,pmem=1gb

Thats 4 cpus across 2 nodes (ppn=processors per node) with 1gb of
memory per processor. PBS will not start my job until it can find 2
nodes with 2 cpus, where each cpu has 1 gb of memory free.

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp_at_[hidden]