Subject: Re: [OMPI users] configure:25579: error: No atomic primitives available for ppc74xx-linux-gnu
From: Michael (mklus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-09 14:47:31

On Apr 9, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Bailey, Eric wrote:
> I am trying to use a cross compiler to build Open MPI for an embedded
> ppc7448 running Linux 2.6 but during configure I get the following
> error.
> configure:25579: error: No atomic primitives available for
> ppc74xx-linux-gnu
>
> Does anyone have an idea as to how to get past this error?
> The configure is complaining about the missing atomic directives for
> your processor. We have the MIPS atomic calls but not the MIPS64. We
> just have to add them in the opal/asm/base.

based on my reading PPC 7448 is basically the same processor in my
Apple PowerMac G4 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_G4>.
Therefore, OpenMPI should have no trouble as I build OpenMPI on my G4
many times.

I have no idea where the MIPS references come from. PPC has always
meant PowerPC in everything I have seen. All MIPS chips I'm aware of
are labeled Rxxxx.

It might be best to get a PowerMac G4 and build OpenMPI on it, but
you'd probably have better luck if you install Linux on the G4 instead
of building OpenMPI on OS X as your final platform is Linux.

Michael