Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problem with sending vectors
From: Andreas Schäfer (gentryx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-06 15:45:17

Hi Albert,

On 14:14 Sun 06 Apr , Albert Babinskas wrote:
> I want to send vectors of myclass between nodes. But myclass has
> arrays inside of it.

Without knowing your code I can only guess the problem, but I have two
hypotheses: a) If those arrays are dynamically allocated via "new",
then you cannot send multiple objects using the same MPI datatype as
the offset of the array content to the containing object will vary
between multiple instances. b) A frequent error when using vectors is
the assumption that the address of the first element can be obtained
by "&vector" (works almost never) or "&vector.begin()" (works for some
implementations). The correct method would be "&vector[0]" or
"&vector.front()".

You could get more detailed feedback if you would attach a minimal
excerpt of your code that reproduces the error (and still constitutes
a valid/complete MPI program).

Cheers!
-Andreas

Andreas Schäfer
Cluster and Metacomputing Working Group
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Germany
PGP/GPG key via keyserver
I'm a bright... http://www.the-brights.net
(\___/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
signature to help him gain world domination!