Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Introduce myself.
From: Brock Palen (brockp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-05 23:39:53

The best online way to learn MPI I have ever found was the NCSA class
here:

http://ci-tutor.ncsa.uiuc.edu/login.php

OpenMPI and MPICH both implement the same standard set of functions
put forth at the MPI Forum. Each OpenMPI and MPICH have their own
strong points and weaknesses and bugs. But if you write a MPI app it
should work the same using ether libraries after a recompile but not
editing (one would hope). You really want to have this portableness
when using MPI libraries on the SGI Altix or IBM Blue Gene which are
unique to those systems but are not available on a desktop where you
develop that code. MPI should allow you use develop using OpenMPI or
MPICH and then run on a Altix with MPT with little change. Thats the
goal at-least.

  MPI-2 was a update that added features to MPI-1.1 such as the IO
calls, process spawning, and one sided operation (MPI_Get() MPI_Put()).

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp_at_[hidden]