Subject: Re: [OMPI users] RPM build errors when creating multiple rpms
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-31 07:41:32

On Mar 26, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Ashley Pittman wrote:

>> The community Open MPI projects distributes SRPMs which, when built,
>> do not install into /opt by default -- you have to request it
>> specifically.
>
> Out of interest how does open-mpi handle the mpir_dll_name symbol in
> the
> library, it's supposed to contain the location of the debugger library
> and therefore does not play well with relocating RPMs or installed
> library's other to the place they were built for.

Today, it does not -- the location has to be compile-time
initialized. So if you move the library+plugin somewhere else, the
Etnus scheme to find the DLL currently cannot handle it.

We have proposed a new scheme to Etnus and Allinea that allows a bit
more flexibility to find the DLLs at run-time; both have agreed to the
idea in principle. We will include this support in Open MPI v1.3; I
don't know when/if the debuggers will support it. I believe that the
ball is currently in my court; Etnus asked me some questions to which
I have not yet replied... doh...

Cisco Systems