Subject: Re: [OMPI users] [gentryx@gmx.de: Re: 2 questions about Open MPI]
From: powernetfreak_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-03-25 14:38:06

And i am also right when i think that Open MPI supports task level
parallism.
because i think that i can create a process for each task (or create a
task pool) and let them communicating over MPI.
am i right?
thanks.

king regards,

oeter

MPI]

>Hallöle,
>
>On 13:34 Tue 25 Mar , powernetfreak_at_[hidden] wrote:
>> So Open MPI is OS dependent and actually it dont support Windows
>> plattforms.
>
>Equating "not running on Windows" to "OS dependent" is a bit harsh,
as
>Open MPI will run on any Unixish OS (Linux, Solaris, BSD...). You
>could have some luck with compiling Open MPI with Cygwin, then you'd
>have it for Windows. But I'm not sure about the Cygwin stuff.
>
>> I would want to know if (Open) MPI sipports data decomposition and\
or
>> task level parallelism.
>
>It supports data decomposition and you can build pretty much any form
>of parallelism you like.
>
>> But i also think that OpenMPI dont support data decomposition
(like
>> here described: http://www.netlib.org/pvm3/book/node32.html ) "out-
of-
>> the-box".
>
>MPI does support data decomposition. The thing you need to understand
>is that MPI stands for Message Passing Interface, i.e. it is used to
>pass messages (possibly containing data). The functions defined in
the
>MPI standard provide a rich cornucopia of functions helping you to
>distribute your data among nodes in whichever creative and colorful
>way you like.
>
>Cheers!
>-Andreas
>

>--
>Andreas Schäfer
>Cluster and Metacomputing Working Group
>Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Germany
>PGP/GPG key via keyserver
>I'm a bright... http://www.the-brights.net

Jetzt neu: Der Routenplaner von Tiscali
http://www.tiscali.de/trav/routenplaner.html