Subject: Re: [OMPI users] What architecture? X86_64, that's what architecture!
From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-14 17:22:59

On Mar 10, 2008, at 9:15 PM, Jim Hill wrote:

> I'm trying to build a 64-bit 1.2.5 on an 8-core Xeon Mac Pro running
> OS X 10.4.11, with the Portland Group's PGI Workstation 7.1-5
> tools. The configure script works its magic with a couple of
> modifications to account for PGI's tendency to freak out about F90
> modules. Upon make, though, I end up dying with a "Wat
> architecture?" error in opal/mca/backtrace/darwin/MoreBacktrace/
> MoreDebugging/MoreBacktrace.c:128 because (I presume) a 64-bit Xeon
> build isn't a PPC, a PPC64, or an X86.
> Is this something that's been seen by others? I'm not the world's
> greatest software stud and this is just a step along the path to my
> real objective, which is making my own software run on this beast
> machine of mine.
> Suggestions, tips, and clever insults are welcome. Thanks,

The configure script should have prevented that from happening (and
indeed does with the GNU compilers). I don't have a copy of the PGI
compilers for OS X to test with, so I can't debug this without some
more information. What changes did you make to configure, what
options did you specify to configure, and what was the full output of

   Brian Barrett
   Open MPI developer