Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problem: openmpi using lam
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-09 17:09:55

On Mar 8, 2008, at 6:26 AM, Justus Schwabedal wrote:

> I thought LAM/MPI is being merged into openmpi. I think, Im not sure
> how the implementations are related.

Think of LAM/MPI as one of the predecessors to Open MPI (several MPI
projects, including LAM/MPI, merged to create the new Open MPI). So
some of the ideas and code were taken from LAM, but not everything.

> I think lam is just a runtime for which now openmpi delivers some
> support.

Not really. We originally created a new run-time (ORTE) for Open MPI
that uses some of the ideas from LAM (and others), and a bunch of new/
original work. These days, I would only consider ORTE to be distantly
related to LAM.

> If not so, I dont understand. However orte is another runtime right?
> I thought I can switch between those using something like mpi-
> selector-menu.

mpi-selector-menu is a utility that I wrote for the OFED (OpenFabrics
Enterprise Distribution) distribution. It allows you to switch
between the different MPI implementations installed by OFED without
requiring the user to edit their shell startup files (e.g., .bashrc).
I know that the Cisco OFED distribution includes documentation on mpi-
selector-menu (available from cisco.com), and there's a man page
installed on mpi-selector-menu as well (and mpi-selector, the script
that does the work behind mpi-selector-menu).

Cisco's OFED ships with 9 different MPI implementation: Open MPI,
MVAPICH, MVAPICH2. Each of those are compiled against the GNU
compilers, intel compilers, and PGI compilers. mpi-selector-menu
allows you to switch between these 9.

>>> http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free
>>

>> --
>> Jeff Squyres
>> Cisco Systems

> Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehört?
> Der kann`s mit allen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger

Cisco Systems