Subject: Re: [OMPI users] ScaLapack and BLACS on Leopard
From: Terry Frankcombe (terry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-06 18:12:58

> Intel ifort is 7.7x faster then Linux g95 on MacPro 3.0 GHz
> Intel ifort is 2.9x faster then Linux g95 on Dual Opteron 1.4 GHz
> Intel ifort is 1.8x faster then Linux g95 on SGI Altix 350 dual
> Itanium2 1.4 GHz
> OS X g95 is 2.7x faster then Linux g95 on a MacPro 2.66 GHz (same
> hardware exactly)

That ordering makes little sense to me. The Intel compilers should be
the most effective on Itanium, where a lot of functionality has been
moved out of hardware and foisted onto the compiler!

Have you done these tests with a recent gfortran? (Certainly the gcc
people would want to know about it as these must be missed
optimisations. But only for the gfortran case.)