Subject: [OMPI users] OpenMPI on intel core 2 duo machine for parallel computation.
From: Chembeti, Ramesh (S&T-Student) (rc2nf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-28 17:32:35

Dear All,

I am a graduate student working on molecular dynamic simulation. My professor/adviser is planning to buy Linux based clusters. But before that he wanted me to parallelize a serial code on molecular dynamic simulations and test it on a intelcore 2 duo machine with fedora 8 on it. I have parallelised my code in fortran 77 using MPI. I have installed OpenMPI and compiling the code using mpif77 -g -o code code.f and running it using
mpirun -np 2 ./code. I have a couple of questions to ask you:
1. Is it possible to use a duo core or any multi core machine for parallel computations?
2. Is that a a right procedure to run a parallel job as explained above?(using mpif77 -g -o code code.f and running it using
mpirun -np 2 ./code)
3. How do I know my code is being run on both the processors.(I am a chemical engineering student and new to computational aspects)
4. If what I have done is wrong can anyone please explain me how to do it?

Here is my CPU details:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
stepping : 11
cpu MHz : 2000.000
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 5322.87
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
stepping : 11
cpu MHz : 2000.000
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 5319.97
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: