Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI piggyback mechanism
From: Aurélien Bouteiller (bouteill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-01 11:08:25

I don't know of any work in that direction for now. Indeed, we plan to
eventually integrate at least causal message logging in the pml-v,
which also includes piggybacking. Therefore we are open for
collaboration with you on this matter. Please let us know :)

Aurelien

Le 1 févr. 08 à 09:51, Thomas Ropars a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on optimistic message logging and I would like
> implement an optimistic message logging protocol in OpenMPI.
> Optimistic
> message logging protocols piggyback information about dependencies
> between processes on the application messages to be able to find a
> consistent global state after a failure. That's why I'm interested in
> the problem of piggybacking information on MPI messages.
>
> Is there some works on this problem at the moment ?
> Has anyone already implemented some mechanisms in OpenMPI to piggyback
> data on MPI messages?
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas
>
> Oleg Morajko wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm developing a causality chain tracking library and need a
>> mechanism
>> to attach an extra data to every MPI message, so called piggyback
>> mechanism.
>>
>> As far as I know there are a few solutions to this problem from which
>> the two fundamental ones are the following:
>>
>> * Dynamic datatype wrapping - if a user MPI_Send, let's say 1024
>> doubles, the wrapped send call implementation dynamically
>> creates a derived datatype that is a structure composed of a
>> pointer to 1024 doubles and extra fields to be piggybacked. The
>> datatype is constructed with absolute addresses to avoid copying
>> the original buffer. The receivers side creates the equivalent
>> datatype to receive the original data and extra data. The
>> performance of this solution depends on the how good is derived
>> data type handling, but seems to be lightweight.
>>
>> * Sending extra data in a separate message -- seems this can have
>> much more significant overhead
>>
>> Do you know any other portable solution?
>>
>> I have implemented the first solution for P2P operations and it works
>> pretty well. However there are problems with collective operations.
>> There are 2 classes of collective calls that are problematic:
>>
>> 1. Single receiver calls, like MPI_Gather. The sender tasks in
>> gather can be handled in the same way as a normal send, a data
>> item is wrapped and extra data is piggybacked with the message.
>> The problem is at the receiver side when a root gathers N data
>> items that must be received in an array big enough to receive
>> all items strided by datatype extent.
>>
>> In particular, it seems impossible to construct a datatype that
>> contains data item and extra data (i.e. structure type with
>> absolute addresses) AND make an array of these datatypes
>> separated by a fixed extent. For example: data item to receive
>> from every process is a vector of 1024 doubles. Extra data is a
>> single integer. User provides a receive buffer with place for N
>> * 1024 * double. The library allocates an array of N integers to
>> receive piggybacked data. How to construct a datatype that can
>> be used to receive data in MPI_Gather?

> [...]

Dr. Aurélien Bouteiller
Sr. Research Associate - Innovative Computing Laboratory
Suite 350, 1122 Volunteer Boulevard
Knoxville, TN 37996
865 974 6321