Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Debian package of open mpi?
From: Dirk Eddelbuettel (edd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-30 10:52:48

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:13:28AM -0500, Sang Chul Choi wrote:
> I am wondering which version of open mpi I should install. I am using the
> latest version of Ubuntu. Is debian package 1.1-2.5 the relatively latest
> version of open mpi?

No -- and a simple way of getting selected packages from Debian
up-to-date on Ubuntu is to

           a) add a deb-src entry to /etc/apt/sources.list that points
              to Debian unstable (or testing)

           b) apt-get update && apt-get source $packageYouWant

           c) make the changes you need to make, it any

           d) rebuild, eg via 'dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -tc -rfakeroot'

which is what I don on the Ubuntu machines at work.

Steps b) to d) can be combined by adding --compile to the apt-get
source invocation, but I like to at least mark the local build in the
changelog / version number.

Hope this helps,

Dirk (one of the Debian Open MPI maintainers)