Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Excessive Use of CPU System Resources with OpenMPI 1.2.4 using TCP only ..
From: Brock Palen (brockp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-22 10:02:32

See this FAQ:

http://icl.cs.utk.edu/open-mpi/faq/?category=running#oversubscribing

OMPI by default assumes that each process has its own cpu, thus
aggressively looks for data to receive. I think there is a way to
yield the processor if you want, but I think what your seeing is
behavior you want.
If your application is spending allot of time waiting to receive data
it might be unbalanced, check out opt (http://www.allinea.com/
index.php?page=74) works with OMPI, lets you see what your process
are doing, I think Tau (http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/tau/users/
samrai.php) would be a free alternative but i do not know if it works
with OMPI.

Brock Palen
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp_at_[hidden]