Subject: [OMPI users] Using open-mpi app on a normal network
From: Antoine Monmayrant (antoine.monmayrant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-18 11:54:36

Hi everyone,

I am new to open-mpi and parallel computing so I hope I won't
bore/offend you with obvious/off-topic questions.
We are running scientific simulations (using meep from mit) on small
bi-processors pcs and to fully use both processors on each machine, we
had to compile a mpi version of the soft.
Compiling and running the app (meep-mpi) with mpirun were both fine.
Now, we wonder if we can do a bit more by exploiting the unused
computing power that is available on our lab network during night and
week-end.
The problem is that even if our network is more than decent, it not near
what you can find in a cluster. What's more, the various computers we
could use are quite different (proc, ram, overall performances).
Taking this into account, do you think we can use open-mpi over such a
network:
 a) for one long simulation to share on the different "nodes"?
 b) for embarrassingly parallel simulations, that is for N independent
simulations that we want to "spread" over the network, for example
running one simulation on each available node?

What kind of gain/limitations can we expect for both cases?
If open-mpi is not the way forward, do you have an alternative to propose?
Thanks in advance for your help,

Cheers,

Antoine

 Antoine Monmayrant
 LAAS - CNRS
 7 avenue du Colonel Roche
 31077 TOULOUSE Cedex4
 FRANCE

 Tel:+33 5 61 33 64 59
 email : antoine.monmayrant_at_[hidden]
 permanent email : antoine.monmayrant_at_[hidden]