Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Open MPI v1.2.5 released
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-08 21:06:39

On Jan 8, 2008, at 4:18 PM, Francesco Pietra wrote:

> Surely naive questions, though to avoid a mess and much time, having
> no expert
> in systems here:
>
> Is there a recipe for "upgrading" to 1.2.5/ifort in Linux from
> version 1.2.3
> compiled ifort? (my Linux is Debian amd64)?

We generally recommend having a new installation for each version of
Open MPI. We do not [yet] test for binary compatibility between
released versions of Open MPI. That's on the to-do list, but it
hasn't happened yet. Specifically, codes that were compiled against
v1.2.3 may or may not work with v.1.2.5.

For example, if you installed Open MPI v1.2.3 into:

        /opt/openmpi-1.2.3

you might want to install Open MPI v1.2.5 into:

        /opt/openmpi-1.2.5

Or something along those lines.

> What about the parallelized programs that depend on Open MPI? (several
> instances in my system)

It is best to recompile / relink them against the new installation of
Open MPI (v1.2.5).

> What about programs that were compiled from config configured for
> mpich2,
> though run parallel by pointing to Open MPI 1.2 (one instance in my
> system).

I'm not sure I fully understand this question... If you compile an
MPI application against MPICH2, it will not run properly with Open
MPI's mpirun and libmpi.

Cisco Systems