Subject: Re: [OMPI users] No output from mpirun
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-02 10:15:24

What did you name your executable?

I believe that Open MPI and MPICH differ in how they find executables
via mpirun -- for example, if you named your executable "test" and ran
"mpirun -np 4 test", Open MPI might very well have found /bin/test
rather than the "test" executable in your pwd. /bin/test will run and
exit silently, which might be what you're seeing. (I'm not sure how
MPICH finds executables; I'm just guessing about this because other
users have run into this same problem before and you said that MPICH
works for you)

In general, Open MPI tries to use the same PATH-searching semantics as
the shell does. For example, what runs when you do this:

     shell$ test

Is it your program, or /bin/test? It may well be /bin/test if /bin is
before . in the $PATH (or if . is not in your $PATH). But:

     shell$ ./test

will guarantee to run the "test" executable in your pwd.

If this is the case, try forcing OMPI to use the "test" executable in
your pwd:

     shell$ mpirun -np 4 ./test

And see if that works for you.

On Dec 31, 2007, at 12:45 PM, Amit Kumar Saha wrote:

> On 12/31/07, Varun R <nigen7_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Yes, the 'mpirun' is the one from OpenMPI. And btw mpich worked
>> perfectly
>> for me. It's only ompi that's giving me these problems. Do I have
>> to setup
>> ssh or something? Because I remember doing that for mpich.
>
> You have to set up password less SSH login on each of the 'remote'
> host you are planning to spawn your tasks.
>
> HTH,
> Amit
> --
> Amit Kumar Saha