Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Theoretical Differences: Cluster Computing, Distributed Computing, Grid Computing
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-19 09:30:44

It's a pretty hazy difference; I don't think there are formal
definitions for each.

Cluster computing *usually* (but not always) implies a bit more
tightly coupled set of computing: the app communicates and coordinates
between itself more than your standard manager/worker computation
model. Distributed computing *usually* focuses on the manager/worker
model -- send some work to anyone who asks for it and then eventually
get some results back from them (or not -- then you have to send the
same work out to someone else).

But you can certainly use the manager/worker model in cluster
computing, too. Not all cluster computing is tightly coupled.

Probably the easiest distinction is that "cluster computing" occurs on
a cluster; distributed computing [usually] occurs in a larger-than-a-
SAN area.

On Dec 19, 2007, at 1:10 AM, Amit Kumar Saha wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I am a bit hazy about the differences between Distributed Computing
> and Cluster Computing.
>
> This document here
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/grid/library/gr-heritage/ is a nice
> read on Grid Computing and it also has few lines about important
> differences from Cluster Computing.
>
> Hints will be duly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Amit