Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Compiling 1.2.4 using Intel Compiler 10.1.007 on Leopard
From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-15 02:19:07

I finally had a chance to look at this (since the same things are
happening with LAM as well). The base issue is that Intel's compiler
is completely borked. I can't fathom how a company could release a
product that fundamentally broken. That's all good, except that
recent versions of Autoconf expect that the compiler at least kind of
works without special CFLAGS for some of its tests (like does the
compiler understand -g or does -E invoke the preprocessor) -- not an
unreasonable assumption. Configure is getting those answers wrong
because that's suddenly not true. It makes a wrong choice about
requiring some Autoconf compatibility scripts to build, which don't
work on OS X (probably because they aren't usually needed, so not well
tested)

A hackish fix is to set CC to "icc -no-multibyte-chars" and CXX to
"icpc -no-multibyte-chars" instead of setting the -no-multibyte-
chars. With those parameters, I was able to successfully build Open
MPI (and applications against Open MPI). Hopefully Intel can fix
their compilers before this causes too many more issues. How you ship
an (expensive!) compiler that just flat out doesn't work is beyond me.

Brian

On Dec 12, 2007, at 11:18 AM, Warner Yuen wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> It seems that the problems are partially the compilers fault, maybe
> the updated compilers didn't catch all the problems filed against
> the last release? Why else would I need to add the "-no-multibyte-
> chars" flag for pretty much everything that I build with ICC? Also,
> its odd that I have to use /lib/cpp when using Intel ICC/ICPC
> whereas with GCC things just find their way correctly. Again, IFORT
> and GCC together seem fine. Lastly... not that I use these... but
> MPICH-2.1 and MPICH-1.2.7 for Myrinet built just fine.
>
> Here are the output files:
>

> <config.log.tgz><configure.output.tgz><error.log.tgz>
>

> Warner Yuen
> Scientific Computing Consultant
> Apple Computer
> email: wyuen_at_[hidden]
> Tel: 408.718.2859
> Fax: 408.715.0133
>

> On Dec 12, 2007, at 9:00 AM, users-request_at_[hidden] wrote:

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 06:50:03 -0500
>> From: Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
>> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problems compiling 1.2.4 using Intel
>> Compiler 10.1.006 on Leopard
>> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
>>
>> My primary work platform is a MacBook Pro, but I don't specifically
>> develop for OS X, so I don't have any special compilers.
>>
>> Sorry to ask this because I think the information was sent before,
>> but
>> could you send all the compile/failure information? http://www.open-mpi.org/community/help/

   Brian Barrett
   Open MPI developer