Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Newbie: Using hostfile
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-29 07:37:42

On Nov 29, 2007, at 2:09 AM, Madireddy Samuel Vijaykumar wrote:

> A non MPI application does run without any issues. Could eloberate on
> what you mean by doing mpirun "hostname". You mean i just do an
> 'mpirun lynx' in my case???

No, I mean

    mpirun --hostfile <your_hostfile> hostname

This should run the "hostname" command on each of your nodes. If
running "hostname" doesn't work after changing the order, then
something is very wrong. If it *does* work, it implies something that
there is faulty in the MPI startup (which is more complicated than
starting up non-MPI applications).

> On Nov 28, 2007 9:57 PM, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Well, that's odd.
>>
>> What happens if you try to mpirun "hostname" (i.e., a non-MPI
>> application)? Does it run, or does it hang?
>>

>> On Nov 23, 2007, at 6:00 AM, Madireddy Samuel Vijaykumar wrote:
>>
>>> I have been using using clusters for some tests. My localhost "lynx"
>>> and i have "puma" and "tiger" which make up the cluster. All have
>>> passwordless ssh enabled. Now if i have the following in my
>>> hostfile(perline in the same order)
>>>
>>> lynx
>>> puma
>>> tiger
>>>
>>> My tests(from lynx) run over the cluster without any issues.
>>>
>>> But if move/remove the lynx from there either (perline in the same
>>> order)
>>>
>>> puma
>>> lynx
>>> tiger
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> puma
>>> tiger
>>>
>>> My test(from lynx) just does not get any where. It just hangs. And
>>> does not proceed at all. Is this an issue with way my script handles
>>> the cluster node. Or is there an method for the hostfile. Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sam aka Vijju
>>> :)~
>>> Linux: Open, True and Cool