Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI - compilation
From: Brian W. Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-16 15:31:29

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Tim Prins wrote:

> I have seen situations where after installing Open MPI, the wrapper
> compilers did not create any executables, and seemed to do nothing.
>
> I was never able to figure out why the wrappers were broken, and
> reinstalling Open MPI always seemed to make it work.
>
> If I recall correctly, when this happened 'mpicc --showme' returned nothing.
>
> FWIW, I only ever saw this on old versions of Open MPI, so I would
> second Jeff in recommending an upgrade.

There was a bug in the wrapper compilers for the v1.2 series of releases
where if the data file describing what the wrapper compilers should do, it
would silently exit (returning non-zero exit status, but silently). This
was "not good" and fixed in v1.2. Generally, the underlying issue is
either 1) an incomplete Open MPI installation or 2) the installation being
moved from the prefix specified when configuring Open MPI.

So, as others have said, upgrading will at least make the issues more
obvious.

Brian