From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-05 08:17:57

On Nov 3, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Tim Reis wrote:

> I am a new user of mpi who is having a problem that I hope someone
> can help we with.

Looks like you hit several MPI-related mailing lists with this same
mail. :-)

> I have a code that seems to build fine with mpif90. I can submit it
> to a queue using mpirun with no problems but once it has transferred
> from qw to r state it dies very quickly (I say die rather than
> finish because this is a large code that ran for days on an old
> cluster).
>
> And when I try to look at the .e and .o files that are defined in my
> script I notice they are both empty.

It's hard to say without more detail, but it sounds like the MPI job
itself is failing to be launched properly. You might want to check
things like your PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc. You might also want to
try launching non-MPI jobs and/or trivial MPI jobs (e.g., the MPI
equivalent of "hello world") as diagnostics.

Hope that helps.

Cisco Systems