From: Tim Prins (tprins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-31 18:55:47

Hi Clement,

I seem to recall (though this may have changed) that if a system supports
ipv6, we may open both ipv4 and ipv6 sockets. This can be worked around by
configuring Open MPI with --disable-ipv6

Other then that, I don't know of anything else to do except raise the limit
for the number of open files.

I know it doesn't help you now, but we are actively working on this problem
for Open MPI 1.3. This version will introduce a tree routing scheme which
will dramatically reduce the number of open sockets that the runtime system
needs.

Hope this helps,

Tim