From: Jorge Parra (jeparra_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-24 20:05:23

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your reply.

You are right, my openMPI version is rather old. However I am stuck with
it while I can compile v1.2.4. I have had some problems with it (I already
opened a case on Oct 15th).

You were also right about my hostname. uname -n reports (none) and the
"hostname" command did not exist in the nodes of my cluster. I already
added it to the nodes and modified the /etc/hosts file. The error went
away and now I can see that orted runs in the remote node. It is strange
to me that orted runs with --num_proc 3 when mpirun was executed with -np
2. Does this sound correct to you? I might open a new case for it
though...

Thank you for your help,

Jorge

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Tim Prins wrote:

> Sorry to reply to my own mail.
>
> Just browsing through the logs you sent, and I see that 'hostname' should be
> working fine. However, you are using v1.1.5 which is very old. I would
> strongly suggest upgrading to v1.2.4. It is a huge improvement over the old
> v1.1 series (which is not being maintained anymore).
>
> Tim
>
> On Monday 22 October 2007 08:41:30 pm Tim Prins wrote:
>> Hi Jorge,
>>
>> This is interesting. The problem is the universe name:
>> root@(none):default-universe
>>
>> The "(none)" part is supposed to be the hostname where mpirun is executed.
>> Try running:
>> hostname
>>
>> and:
>> uname -n
>>
>> These should both return valid hostnames for your machine.
>>
>> Open MPI pretty much assumes that all nodes have a valid (preferably
>> unique) hostname. If the above commands don't work, you probably need to
>> fix your cluster.
>>
>> Let me know if this does not work.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> On Thursday 18 October 2007 09:22:09 pm Jorge Parra wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When trying to execute an application that spawns to another node, I
>>> obtain the following message:
>>>
>>> # ./mpirun --hostfile /root/hostfile -np 2 greetings
>>> Syntax error: "(" unexpected (expecting ")")
>>> - Could not execute the executable
>>> "/opt/OpenMPI/OpenMPI-1.1.5b/exec/bin/greetings
>>> ": Exec format error
>>>
>>> This could mean that your PATH or executable name is wrong, or that you
>>> do not
>>> have the necessary permissions. Please ensure that the executable is
>>> able to be
>>>
>>> found and executed.
>>> -
>>>
>>> and in the remote node:
>>>
>>> # pam_rhosts_auth[183]: user root has a `+' user entry
>>> pam_rhosts_auth[183]: allowed to root_at_192.168.1.102 as root
>>> PAM_unix[183]: (rsh) session opened for user root by (uid=0)