From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-24 17:25:40

On Oct 24, 2007, at 1:21 PM, George Bosilca wrote:

> There is no way to run Open MPI by hand, or at least not simple
> way. How about xgrid on your OS X cluster ? Anyway, without a way
> to start processes remotely it is really difficult to start up any
> kind of parallel job.

More specifically, Open MPI assumes that it can invoke some kind of
action on the local node to cause processes to be started remotely
(whether that's via rsh/ssh or some kind of resource manager mechanism).

We don't really have a simple way for a user to start a bunch of jobs
manually and have them magically join together into a single parallel
job. You conceivably *could* replicate the commands the rsh/ssh
starter executes, but I wouldn't really advise it, for two reasons:

1. they're long, complicated commands (which are generated
automatically with variable arguments)
2. the specific arguments have changed between different versions of
Open MPI -- we consider these interfaces to be internal and therefore
subject to change without warning

Cisco Systems