From: Massimo Cafaro (massimo.cafaro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-29 04:37:00

Brian,

thank you very much for your suggestion. I have succesfully
recompiled Open MPI for 64 bits and it works like a charm. Anyway, it
would be nice to have this option available as a configure switch.

Cheers,
Massimo

On Sep 28, 2007, at 3:28 PM, Brian Barrett wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2007, at 4:56 AM, Massimo Cafaro wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> when I try to compile my MPI code on 64 bits intel Mac OS X the
>> build fails since the Open MPI library has been compiled using 32
>> bits. Can you please provide in the next version the ability at
>> configure time to choose between 32 and 64 bits or even better
>> compile by defaults using both modes?
>>
>> To reproduce the problem, simply compile on 64 bits intel Mac OS X
>> an MPI application using mpicc -arch x86_64. The 64 bits linker
>> complains as follows:
>>
>> ld64 warning: in /usr/local/mpi/lib/libmpi.dylib, file is not of
>> required architecture
>> ld64 warning: in /usr/local/mpi/lib/libopen-rte.dylib, file is not
>> of required architecture
>> ld64 warning: in /usr/local/mpi/lib/libopen-pal.dylib, file is not
>> of required architecture
>>
>> and a number of undefined symbols is shown, one for each MPI
>> function used in the application.
>
> This is already possible. Simply use the configure options:
>
> ./configure ... CFLAGS="-arch x86_64" CXXFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
> OBJCFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
>
> also set FFLAGS and FCFLAGS to "-m64" if you have gfortran/g95
> compiler installed. The common installs of either don't speak the -
> arch option, so you have to use the more traditional -m64.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Brian

*******************************
  Massimo Cafaro, Ph.D.                             National
Nanotechnology Laboratory (NNL/CNR-INFM)
  Assistant Professor                                    Euro-
Mediterranean Centre for Climate Change
  Dept. of Engineering for Innovation        SPACI Consortium
  University of Salento, Lecce, Italy
  Via per Monteroni                                      Voice  +39
0832 297371 Fax +39 0832 298173
  73100 Lecce, Italy                                     Web
http://sara.unile.it/~cafaro
  E-mail massimo.cafaro_at_[hidden]             cafaro_at_[hidden]