From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-20 20:40:00

Open MPI currently has a "negative ACK" kind of assumption built into
it -- it assumes that if you have high-speed network support built
into it, you'll want to know if you're not using it.

You're correct that you can disable this warning by setting the "btl"
MCA parameter to ^openib (or any other inclusive value that does not
have "openib" in it).

On Sep 19, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Tobias Burnus wrote:

> If I start an MPI job with:
>
> mpirun -np 2
>
> the following gets shown:

> ----
> [0,1,0]: OpenIB on host tux was unable to find any HCAs.
> Another transport will be used instead, although this may result in
> lower performance.
> ----
> ----
> [0,1,0]: uDAPL on host tux was unable to find any NICs.
> Another transport will be used instead, although this may result in
> lower performance.
> ----
> libibverbs: Fatal: couldn't read uverbs ABI version.
>

> before it runs the job. The point is: As I have *one* SMP machine,
> there
> is no need to use Infiniband etc. as accessing the local memory
> directly
> will be faster ;-)
>
> Why is this message shown in this case?
>
> (I read that one can suppress the first message via "btl=^openib" in
> /etc/openmpi-mca-params.conf:.)
>
> Tobias

Cisco Systems