From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-17 19:55:28

Are you using the MPI F90 bindings perchance?

If so, the issue could be that the prototype for MPI_FILE_SET_VIEW is:

interface MPI_File_set_view

subroutine MPI_File_set_view(fh, disp, etype, filetype, datarep, &
         info, ierr)
   include 'mpif-config.h'
   integer, intent(in) :: fh
   integer(kind=MPI_OFFSET_KIND), intent(in) :: disp
   integer, intent(in) :: etype
   integer, intent(in) :: filetype
   character(len=*), intent(in) :: datarep
   integer, intent(in) :: info
   integer, intent(out) :: ierr
end subroutine MPI_File_set_view

end interface

and you might need a variable to be explicitly typed "integer
(kind=MPI_OFFSET_KIND)" -- perhaps there's no promotion from an
integer constant to that type...? I'm not enough of a fortran expert
to know.

On Sep 17, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Andrus, Mr. Brian (Contractor) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a newbie at much of mpi application and try to provide support
> for various users in the hpc community.
> I have run into something that I don't quite understand. I have
> some code that is meant to open a file for reading, but at compile
> time I get "Could not resolve generic procedure mpi_file_set_view"
>
> I am using openmpi 1.2-1 compiled with Torque and the PGI compilers.
>
> The oddity is that when I change the line from:
> call MPI_FILE_SET_VIEW(fh, 0, MPI_REAL4, MPI_REAL4,
> 'native', MPI_INFO_NULL, ierr)
> To:
> call MPI_FILE_SET_VIEW(fh, empty, MPI_REAL4, MPI_REAL4,
> 'native', MPI_INFO_NULL, ierr)
>
> It compiles fine. I don't understand why I get an error when
> passing a literal integer rather than using a variable for a
> placeholder for the displacement argument.
>
> Any feedback or information to help me learn is appreciated.
>

> Brian Andrus perotsystems
> Site Manager | Sr. Computer Scientist
> Naval Research Lab
> 7 Grace Hopper Ave, Monterey, CA 93943
> Phone (831) 656-4839 | Fax (831) 656-4866

Cisco Systems