From: Josh Hursey (jjhursey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-17 15:33:29

Sorry for catching up to this thread a bit late.

In the Open MPI trunk there is a mpirun option to preload a binary
before execution on remote nodes called '--preload-binary' (or '-s').
It has been tested with many of the resource managers (and should be
fairly resource manager agnostic), but I don't believe it has been
tested in the Xgrid environment. It will not use the Xgrid
distribution mechanism, but rsh/ssh transfer mechanisms. Native Xgrid
support can most likely be supported, but I do not know of any
developer planning to do so at the moment.

It has been a while since I tested the '--preload-binary' option to
mpirun so please let us know if you experience any problems. There is
also a '--preload-files=' option to mpirun that will allow arbitrary
files to be distributed to remote machines before a job starts as
well. Both options are useful when working in non-shared file systems.

Cheers,
Josh