From: Brian Barrett (bbarrett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-17 10:33:21

On Sep 9, 2007, at 10:28 AM, Foster, John T wrote:
> I'm having trouble configuring Open-MPI 1.2.4 with the Intel C++
> Compiler v. 10. I have Mac OS X 10.4.10. I have succesfully
> configured and built OMPI with the gcc compilers and a combination
> of gcc/ifort. When I try to configure with icc/icpc it gives me an
> error saying I have a bad C++ compiler and it failed to compile a
> simple program. I have compiled many simple test programs with
> icpc with no error. The config.log and output of configure
> (config.out) files are attached. Thanks in advance for any help.

I think there is actually something wrong with your environment.
Here's the error from icpc for the test that's failing:

configure:21042: icpc -o conftest -DNDEBUG conftest.cc >&5
/usr/local/include/c++/4.2.0/ext/atomicity.h(51): error: identifier
"__sync_fetc
h_and_add" is undefined
     { return __sync_fetch_and_add(__mem, __val); }

Do you have a GCC 4.2 install in /usr/local? It looks like that
might be causing problems in this case. Based on the tests run, it
appears that icpc is able to compile C++ code as long as the STL
headers aren't included. The test that failed was a fairly trivial one:

#define _GNU_SOURCE 1
#include <string>
int
main ()