From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-14 14:16:46

Sorry for not replying earlier -- going on vacation for a few days
really puts you behind in e-mail. :-)

I think that we should have a simple way to look up at least
*something* about ROMIO in ompi_info. Perhaps we can easily snarf
the flags provided to --with-io-romio-flags and put that in an MCA
parameter that would then be query-able through ompi_info.

Rob -- is there a public constant/symbol somewhere where we can
access some form of ROMIO's version number? If so, we can also make
that query-able via ompi_info.

On Sep 14, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Tim Prins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To give FLAGS to the ROMIO configuration script, the configure option
> for Open MPI is:
>
> --with-io-romio-flags=FLAGS
>
> So something like:
> --with-io-romio-flags="--with-filesystems=ufs+nfs+pvfs2"
> should work, though I have not tested it.
>
> You can see all the ROMIO configure flags by running:
> ./ompi/mca/io/romio/romio/configure --help
> from the top directory of the Open MPI source.
>
> If you want to see what file systems support has been built for, you
> should just be able to look in the config.log for ROMIO:
> grep FILE_SYSTEM ./ompi/mca/io/romio/romio/config.log
>
> I am not an expert in this area, but I hope this helps.
>
> Tim
>
> Robert Latham wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 10:18:55AM -0400, Brock Palen wrote:
>>> Is there a way to find out which ADIO options romio was built with?
>>
>> not easily. You can use 'nm' and look at the symbols :>
>>
>>> Also does OpenMPI's romio come with pvfs2 support included? What
>>> about Luster or GPFS.
>>
>> OpenMPI has shipped with PVFS v2 support for a long time. Not sure
>> how you enable it, though. --with-filesystems=ufs+nfs+pvfs2 might
>> work for OpenMPI as it does for MPICH2.
>>
>> All versions of ROMIO support Lustre and GPFS the same way: with the
>> "generic unix filesystem" (UFS) driver. Weikuan Yu at ORNL has been
>> working on a native "AD_LUSTRE" driver and some improvements to ROMIO
>> collective I/O. Likely to be in the next ROMIO release.
>>
>> For GPFS, the only optimized MPI-IO implementation is IBM's MPI for
>> AIX. You're likely to see decent performance with the UFS driver,
>> though.
>>
>> ==rob

Cisco Systems